Flashback Friday: How the year 1985 changed my life

#Flashback Friday

If you’re a football fan, then you know the NFL conference championships are Sunday, and I’ll be rooting for my San Francisco 49ers. (Jon’s got the Chiefs covered.)

Many ask how a farm girl from north central Missouri became a Bay Area Niners fan. It didn’t hurt that my formative years were filled with the Joe Montana/Bill Walsh/Jerry Rice era. Sure, those future Hall of Famers were a joy to watch. And they won. A lot. But it was more than that.

We had antenna television, but, let’s be honest. We basically got three channels and only on a clear day. So when satellite television made its debut, my parents signed up to put an 8-foot dish in the back yard that looked big enough to send signals to the moon.

And then, wow! We finally had REAL television. However, the “local” Kansas City stations that were 100+ miles away weren’t offered. Instead, our network stations were based in New York, Chicago, Los Angeles and…San Francisco.

…see where I’m going with this?

So, yeah, while the rest of the town watched the Kansas City Chiefs every Sunday, my dad and I became 49er fans because they were the team we watched most often.

It’s just a small slice of how technology can shape our views and influence our behaviors. My dad and I spent soooo many hours watching football together. Much of what I know about the game, I learned from him. Bonding over sports, music, art or any interest is so important for parent/child relationships. Today, technology often makes that harder due to social media and gaming. There’s something to be said for coming of age in a simpler time.

Have a great weekend, everyone!
-Kelley


#careconnectcommunicate #BaldwinForMaryvilleSchoolBoard

Comments

Popular Posts