#FlashbackFriday

Yep. That’s me. The drum major. Leading our high school marching band down the street (I refuse to use the title “majorette”).

When I wasn’t leading my peers in the wrong direction, I played the flute, piccolo and xylophone. I was also first-chair flute/piccolo in concert band. Then my band teacher suggested I try the oboe.

The. Oboe.

Have you ever tried to blow into an oboe?

It’s impossible.

Our town built a new high school, which opened my junior year. Our previous building had a gorgeous auditorium. It’s where we had pep rallies, school plays, class meetings. It was the heart of the school. The new building, which had a lot of great bells and whistles, sadly did not have an auditorium.

So I know what it’s like to be a HAVE and a HAVE NOT with regards to school performing arts centers.

As a board member with the Maryville R2 Educational Foundation, I was so honored to be a small part of the large coalition of people, businesses and organizations that helped Lee and Nina Schneider’s dream of a performing arts center in Maryville become a reality.

(PAC photo courtesy of facebook.com/pages/Lee-and-Nina-Schneider-Performing-Arts-Center)

Seriously. I get chills each time I walk up to the front doors. It’s a glorious symbol of what can happen when people work together to make a dream come true.

I look forward to seeing what else we can do for the arts in the future.

Comments

Popular Posts