Show Up


THIS is why you get a yearly mammogram. I’ve been getting mammograms since my 20s thanks to a family history of breast cancer and breast type. I’ve never had a doctor or insurance company argue with me about starting mammograms early. Why? Because catching and treating cancer early is better for the patient (what doctors care about) and a hell of a lot cheaper than battling it at an advanced stage (what insurance companies care about).

I haven’t worried much about what the results may be. Looking out the window won’t make a difference whether it rains or not. Same goes for a mammogram. Having one won’t change whether there’s cancer or not. But knowledge is power, and that’s why you get one AND keep with the schedule (annually, every five years, etc.). The medical gurus have been watching a spot on mine for several years. I knew it indicated a precancerous area. I’ve been walking around for about five years now, knowing there was a possible time bomb lurking in my chest, and there wasn’t a damn thing I could do about it. And at my most recent mammogram earlier this month, the area had changed.

The reason I share this is this: This particular area can’t be felt with a self-check. It is ONLY visible on a mammogram. There’s no way on God’s green earth I would have known unless I had my scheduled mammograms. Ladies, PLEASE get yours. Gentleman, PLEASE tell your ladies to get theirs. Go - even if you don’t think you have any risk factors. Just. Go.

Mammograms are relatively cheap compared to many other medical tests. The ACA mandated that a mammogram be included in your insurance coverage with no deductibles or co-pays. As some of the ACA has been stripped (don’t get me started), check to see if your insurance still covers it. Mine does. If not or you aren’t insured, check out a local clinic that probably offers them for free or at super low-cost. Don’t let fear of the perceived cost keep you from being proactive. The majority of mammograms never progress to the biopsy stage.

And if you DO get to the biopsy stage? Pfft. I had a stereotactic biopsy at Mosaic in about 20 MINUTES on Thursday. That’s it. Slapped a few steri-strips on the spot, tucked an ice pack into the bra and sent me on my way. The techs and surgeon were top-notch. My primary care physician, the fan-tab-u-lous Dr. Sally, called me with the GOOD news early, so I wouldn’t have to wait for the results over the holiday weekend.

Screening is the best preventive tool in your Kick Cancer’s Ass Arsenal. Prostate, colon, breast, etc. Let technology do the work, people. All you have to do is show up. #MineWasBenign #AttitudeIsEverything

Comments

Popular Posts