Compassion doesn't diminish, it gives

 I’m 51 years old, and this is the first time I’ve watched coverage of any party’s national convention.


Life is undeniably complex, filled with challenges that often leave us searching for answers. While I don't claim to have easy solutions for tough issues like gender identity, healthcare, corporate greed, climate change, xenophobia, racism, sexism or toxic masculinity, I do know this:

I have loved ones who are transgender, and my concern is understanding how I can support them in a world that can be harsh, judgmental and cruel.

I have loved ones who are gay, some of whom are married and raising wonderful families. They've fought for rights that should have never been denied to them.

I have loved ones who have had abortions. I don’t judge or question; I simply listen and love.

I have loved ones who have experienced miscarriages or struggled with infertility. I listen to their pain and ask how I can be there for them.

I have loved ones who have been sexually assaulted. Their pain is something I will never fully understand, never fully forget.

We live in a time where judgment seems to dominate, where people feel entitled to impose their restricted version of truth on others. This growing culture of intolerance leaves little room for kindness, compassion or understanding. Many are manipulated by the grievances of others - especially those from the wealthy and the powerful - into believing they are the ones who have been wronged, despite living lives of relative privilege.

Aren't we all exhausted by the constant fighting? The manipulation? The manufactured outrage fueled by corporations, politicians, religious fundamentalists or the wealthy?

I was raised in a family that valued faith. We attended church every Sunday, my father went to a private Baptist college and my parents were leaders in our Presbyterian church. My mom taught Sunday school, I sang in the children's choir and we said grace before dinner every night.

But our faith was never about strict religiosity. We didn’t read the Bible daily, we weren't involved in Bible study and none of us could quote scripture on demand. Instead, our home was grounded in the spirit of Christ's teachings: Be kind to others. Help those in need. Volunteer your time. Feed the hungry. Show compassion. Be humble. Donate a few dollars when you can. Don’t ever be a bully.

I was taught that compassion doesn’t diminish us. It doesn’t weaken our resolve, take away our power or reduce our share. On the contrary, compassion gives - it brings joy in the present and hope for a better future for everyone.

I’m not a historian or theologian, but I understand that Christ espoused a fundamental truth: lifting others lifts us as well.

It's time to set aside anger and division and embrace compassion and cooperation. Let's stop tearing each other down and start building a world where diversity and inclusion and acceptance aren’t treated as enemies but the way toward a future together where there is a place for everyone. As a nation, we will be one when ALL of us succeed, not just SOME of us.

And for those who don’t get that, who refuse to let go of their selfish attitudes and manufactured grievances, obsessed with money or power or their own limited worldview? Those who spend time complaining rather than rolling up their shirtsleeves and really digging into the hard issues to find workable solutions?

Get out of the way so the rest of us can get to work. #Freedom #HopeOverHate

Comments

Popular Posts