Thoughts from a dad: prepare for takeoff

 



This is normally my space, but I want to share my husband's thoughts of sending his only child away to school.

My husband isn't one to tap into deep emotions often, so I know how sincere he felt when he shared this on his social media account.

"A dad’s dream of his son becoming a football player to the reality of becoming a pretty darn good Spoofhound soccer player and a pilot. A 2,600-mile round trip to deliver him to Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University in Daytona Beach, FL.

The sadness and heartache of leaving him at a university so far away is tempered by the fact he worked his ass off to attend one of the best - if not THE best - aviation schools in the country to pursue his passion for flying and make it a career.

The aeronautical sciences degree program at ERAU will be extremely difficult, demanding, adventurous and hopefully sprinkled with some fun. He will have to complete some 600-700 written, oral, simulation and flight challenges to get his flight certifications. On top of the 120 hours to complete his bachelor’s degree.

It has to be this way because hundreds will put their lives in Gabe’s hands on a daily basis to deliver them safely from point A to point B. I am beyond proud of Gabe. I look forward with great anticipation to the day I hear him say over the intercom, 'prepare for takeoff.'"

Comments

Popular Posts